Buildings and contents insurance

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers the cost of damage to the structure of your property. This includes the roof, walls, ceilings, floors, doors and windows. Outdoor structures such as garages and fences are also included. Buildings insurance covers permanent fixtures and fittings, interior decoration and underground tanks, pipes, cables, and drains for which you are responsible from your home to the mains supply. Your buildings insurance should cover the full cost of rebuilding the property. This should include costs such as demolition, clearing the site, and architect’s fees. Make sure any special features such as a luxury fitted kitchen or a conservatory are also included. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) produces yearly guidelines on rebuilding costs. You can find this at Buildings insurance usually covers loss or damage that occurs as a result of: · fire · explosion · bad weather, including lightning, storms and flooding · earthquakes · theft or attempted theft · malicious damage or vandalism · freezing or bursting of any part of the plumbing system · falling trees, lampposts, aerials or satellite dishes · subsidence · impact by vehicles or aircraft.

You can extend a buildings insurance policy to include cover accidental damage to the inside of your home. This costs extra. However, anything that is not clearly listed in the policy is not usually covered. A buildings insurance policy will usually also cover the cost of alternative accommodation up to a certain limit, if you have to leave your home while repairs are carried out. If you own the property, you can also be insured against legal responsibility if someone dies or is injured when they visit your property. You can also get cover for damage to someone else’s goods or property when they visit you.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of, an individual’s personal possessions while they are located within that individual’s home. Some contents insurance policies also provide restricted cover for personal possessions temporarily taken away from the home by the policyholder.